blueberry & lemon scone cake
Source: ‘U on Sunday’, November 4, 2012
Recipe: Siobhan Boyle
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
⅔ cup (160ml) buttermilk
⅔ cup (160g) sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Milk, for brushing
Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the flour, sugar, lemon rind and blueberries in a bowl and mix to combine.
2. Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla.
3. Use a butter knife to mix the buttermilk and cream into the flour until just combined.
4. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and gently bring the dough together.
5. Roll out to a 16 cm round and, using a sharp knife, make 4 deep cuts (to make 8 triangles).
6. Place the scone on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and brush with milk.
7. Bake for 24-26 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
My little one's loved helping to make this super size scone cake. With all my little helpers in the kitchen, we made the rustic...free form...super size scone cake.